birding-aus

Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters in Sydney Region

To: <>
Subject: Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters in Sydney Region
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:08:19 +1000
Hi Birders,
Rikki Coughlan's advice that the Spiny-cheeked Honeyater seen at Uloola
Falls in Royal NP on 6/6/04, is the first record for the Park, is good news.
I read with interest her comments that she thought that they were present at
Brisbane Water NP when she was working there with Dr Harry Recher. However
at that same time, I was domiciled in Sydney working for the NPWS, and
occasionally visited Warrah Trig, indeed the NPWS ran a number of wildlife
orientated courses there and I have no records of SCHE there then. I was
also an active member of the NSWFOC at that time too and helped with the
Annual Bird Reports prepared by that Club.

I have since checked all the Annual reports from 1991 onwards to 2002 (still
in preparation) and there are no other reports of SCHE in Sydney. I cannot
find any record of one in Botany Bay NP.

The nearest recent records I could find is a bird at Waratah near Newcastle
8/2/2000 and i at Comaditchy Lagoon Port Kembla 16/6/02, 2nd Ilawarra record
(both coastal sites). Generally speaking, the nearest they come to Sydney is
a bird seen every year or two in the Capertee valley and then west of Coolah
and Mudgee.

The only record for the Central Coast Bird List (which includes Brisbane
Water NP) is one at Munmorah SRA 1983.

However I would welcome any advice of unreported SCHE's in the Sydney
Region.

Alan Morris
Editor, NSW Annual Bird Reports.