birding-aus

Gloucester Tops NSW

To: <>
Subject: Gloucester Tops NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:54:39 +1000

FOLLOW THAT BIRD TOUR TO GLOUCESTER TOPS, BARRINGTOPS NP 30 MAY 2004

In conjunction with the Birds Australia Members Day and AGM, a trip to
GloucesterTops in Barrington Tops National Park was organised for Sunday 30
May 2004. The day started well, it being fine and sunny and remained so for
the whole day which is most unusual for a visit to Gloucester Tops which is
about 1250 m a.s.l. Seasonal conditions have been good in the Gloucester
District this autumn sothatthere were plenty of birds to see as we
approached the lower slopes of the Barrington Range. Just prior to entering
the National Park, a Pheasant Coucal was seen flying along parallel to the
coach, while Wedge-tailed and White-breasted Sea-eagles, Crimson & Eastern
Rosellas, Jacky Winter and Pipits were passed.

Our first stop was at the Sharpes Creek picnic area just inside the Park
boundary which turned out to be agreat place for morning tea while we
watchedBrown Cuckoo-Doves, Satin Bowerbird, a large group of feeding Crested
Shrike-tits. Catbirds were heard calling, Shing Bronze-cuckoos seen while
Yellow-throated, Large-billed and White-browed Scrub-wrens were busy
feeding. A Lyrebird ran ahead of the coach as we started up the hill to our
next stop which was  the Kerrapit Trail. It was cold here and the bird life
was much harder to find. Fleeting views were had of Crescent Honeyeters and
Olive Whistler, with a few Yellow Robins, Striated Thornbills and
White-throated Treecreeper being seen. In the Antarctic Beach Forest further
along the trail we did manage to get better views of a female Olive
Whistler, and see more scrub-wrens and thornbills. A Lyrebird and a
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo were also found.

We lunched at Gloucester Falls and managed to catch up with a feeding flock
of birds which included Red-browed Treecreepers, Crescent & New Holland
Honeyeaters, Eastern Spinebill, Yellow Robin, Mistletoebird etc which made
for an enjoyable time. We made a short stop at Sharpes Creek on the return
and managed to see 5 Bassian Thrushes feeding in the picnic area and a male
and female Lyrebird, allowing us all to have close views of both species.
Altogether a very pleasant day with 72 species sighted which was good for
the many interstate visitors on board.

Alan Morris