birding-aus

[no subject]

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
From: (Majordomo)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 04:51:38 +1000 (EST)
(GMT+1000)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:43:00 +1000
Subject: Frodo is off and running before the Maggies even start
thinking about it
From: knightl <>
To: Birding Aus <>

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/
0,5936,9728016%255E3102,00.html

Frodo on the attack
Brendan O'Malley
03jun04
FRODO the falcon has struck again with his two talons of terror.

As breeding season approaches, the peregrine falcon has begun to stake
out his territory, ruffling the feathers of the human inhabitants of
the Admiralty Towers highrise units in downtown Brisbane.

His latest attack frightened the wits out of Admiralty Towers Two
resident Jan Erdem while she was out on her 26th floor balcony.

"I heard something behind me but didn't know what it was," Ms Erdem
said yesterday. "It got me on the back of the head and neck. I was
screaming because I didn't notice it at all before it hit.

"I went down to a pharmacy to get some antiseptic but luckily they
didn't need to put in stitches."

Queensland Museum raptor expert Greg Czechura said the incident sounded
more like an accidental collision because there did not appear to have
been aggressive bird calls beforehand.

Admiralty Towers Two bird watchers Russell and Patricia Savage said
they had seen both Frodo and his mate Frieda flying around from time to
time all summer, but were surprised they were causing problems so early
in the season.

"I really hope they lay again in the same place as last year," Mrs
Savage said.

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service ranger Kate Kraschnefski said
although breeding would not begin until spring, male falcons usually
began staking out their territory more aggressively at this time of
year.

"Frodo will be trying to impress his partner by showing he can defend a
really successful territory," she said.

The birds attracted world attention last spring when The Courier-Mail
broadcast the hatching of their clutch of four eggs on a special webcam.

<Those of you who would like to have a look at an osprey web cam may
wish to visit
http://www.rspb.org.uk/webcams/birds_of_prey/osprey2/index.asp >