birding-aus

Outback SA Trip, Messed up by Rain

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Outback SA Trip, Messed up by Rain
From: "Gil Langfield" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:21:33 +1000
I had planned a two and a half week trip from Melbourne to the north-east of
South Australia and left on 17 May.  My plan was to travel to the Flinders
Ranges, then Lyndhurst and then up the Strzelecki Track and back down the
Birdsville Track to Lyndhurst.  The part to Lyndhurst worked pretty well but
I then got caught up in a rainy period which closed the tracks I was
planning to drive on and has them closed again as I write this.  I did
eventually get to Mungerannie Roadhouse on the Birdsville Track for a couple
of days and compensated by spending a little time at Port Lincoln, Gluepot
and Hattah Lakes.

I had eight species on my "wish-list" and saw five, which was not too bad
under the circumstances.  These were Short-tailed Grasswren at Stokes Hill
in the Flinders Ranges, Chestnut-breasted Whiteface and Cinnamon
Quail-thrush at Mount Lyndhurst Station, Chirruping Wedgebill at Port
Augusta Arid Lands Botanic Gardens and Eyrean Grasswren at Mungerannie.
Another nice bird was Grey Falcon on the Birdsville Track between Marree and
Lyndhurst.

I have written a long and boring report on the trip which includes times and
GPS coordinates of some of the bird sightings.  I am happy to attach this
MSWord file (37 KB) to an E-mail to anybody who is interested.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia