birding-aus

pale-head rosellas, whip birds

To: <>
Subject: pale-head rosellas, whip birds
From: "Gary Blond" <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:08:54 +1000
A great birding moment!

Had a long visit yesterday by two pale head rosellas to  my back garden at Joyner near Lake Samsonvale in SE Qld.

They are normally very brief visitors to the bird bath-very anxious drink and off!

For some reason yesterday, they both had long visits to the water and then retired to the tree above and spent at least 20-25 minutes preening themselves. Even the noisy miners gave them space for a change! My new digital camera had a real good workout and I am very pleased with the photos obtained.

At the same time, two pied butcherbirds visited the water and they too stayed for quite a long time.

Would be interested in comparing photos taken by other birders of these beautiful birds.

On another matter, was recently walking at Sweeneys Reserve near Petrie, north of Brisbane and there were a couple of whip birds in fine form.

Cheers
Gary