birding-aus

Late Common Koel in Blue Mountains, NSW.

Subject: Late Common Koel in Blue Mountains, NSW.
From: (Andrew Taylor)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:58:26 +1000
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:24:58AM +1000, scouler wrote:
> It's 1815 hours (shortly after dark) on  Tuesday  25 May and I've just
> heard the unmistakeable calls of a Common Koel outside my home at
> Glenbrook in the  lower Blue Mountains. This is much later in the season
> than I have ever encountered a CK. I'd be interested in any comments on
> very late reports of CKs, and any records of them  overwintering in
> southern Australia.

I saw an over-wintering Koel at Bluegum Swamp in the lower Blue Mountains
about 20 years ago.  I'd have to search through piles of paper to find
the details but I believe it was June.  I heard the bird calling and
then obtained close views of it.  I identified it as female but I was
fairly new to birdwatching, so maybe it was an immature.

I remember Terry Lindsay saying he wouldn't have believed my sighting
but there had been other reports elsewhere that winter.  Reports may be
few but I think its actually to be expected that at least an occasional
koels over-winters.

Andrew Taylor