birding-aus

entertained by Flame Robins and Skylarks-Seaford (SE of Melboune)

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: entertained by Flame Robins and Skylarks-Seaford (SE of Melboune)
From: "Jacqui Sheppard" <>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:38:48 +1000
Today we set out with a goal to find a robin. Skylarks, so aptly named,
tried hard to distract us with their antics, even dropping at top speed
right beside one of the Flame Robins we then saw.
We did a lovely walk this morning which was new to us that you may be
interested in at some time. Although we have walked the main path around the
main Seaford wetlands other times , this time we took a different route:
We parked at the Patterson River College and took the following circuit :
-walked along Eel Race Creek nearly to Wells Rd, then cut through the bushy
reserve which takes you alongside the burnt peat area of the wetlands, then
across to the school farmyard and aviary, and out from the back of this
through the bush as far as possible before rejoining the main bitumen path
and back onto the Eel Creek track and left back to the car.
        It took us about one and a half  hours.
BIRDS SEEN; ( species only mentioned in first area seen)
Along Eel Race Creek
Pacific Black Duck, Chestnut Teal, Hoary Headed Grebe, Little Pied
Cormorant, Little Black Cormorant, Pelican, White Faced Heron, Great Egret,
White Ibis, Royal Spoonbill, Yellow Billed Spoonbill, Coot, Silvergull,
House Sparrow, Starling, Common Mynah
Along Peat Area
Black Shouldered Kite, Masked Lapwing, Superb Fairy Wren, Yellow Rumped
Thornbill, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, White-fronted Chat, Flame Robin (3 male &
several females), Willy Wagtail, Skylark, Richard's Pipit, Welcome Swallow,
Aviary
Budgerigar, Galah, Cockatiel, Zebra Finch,
School Oval
Rock Dove, Crested Pigeon, Magpie -lark,
Bushland
Rainbow Lorikeet, Eastern Rosella, Red Wattlebird, Little Wattlebird,
White-plumed Honeyeater, Eastern Yellow Robin, Grey Butcherbird, Magpie,
Little Raven, Blackbird, Spotted Turtle Dove
46 birds - not bad for in the local area. And everything was in close range.
Jacqui Sheppard

---

Jacqui Sheppard

---