birding-aus

Monarto and Aldinga SA trip report

Subject: Monarto and Aldinga SA trip report
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:27:19 +1000
On the weekend I took my first trip out to Brown?s Road Monarto (just off
the highway between Adelaide and Murray Bridge). I stopped first next to a
very dry area  with virtually no undergrowth (I think it might have been a
revegetation area) but quite a few eucalypts were in flower. There I found
Brown-headed Honeyeater, New Holland Honeyeater, Grey Shrike Thrush, Red
Wattlebird, Yellow-rumped Thornbill, White-winged Chough, White-browed
Babbler (10+), Restless Flycatcher, Willie Wagtail, Adelaide Rosella,
Singing Honeyeater and Spotted Pardalote.

After that I headed further down the same road to an area with some
undergrowth. I stopped in a clearing and had lunch while a wonderful array
of birds fed on the ground or flew past. They included several Hooded Robin,
Diamond Firetail (6 including 1 immature), Southern Whiteface (3), Golden
Whistler (1 male), Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Common Bronzewing, Striated
Pardalote, Grey Fantail and Red-rumped Parrot (as well as more Restless
Flycatcher, White-browed Babbler, Grey Shrike Thrush, New Holland Honeyeater
and Red Wattlebird). On the way back to the car I added a female Red-capped
Robin and more Hooded Robin.

I then headed over to the Monarto Conservation Park, which is on the other
side of the Freeway. It was a lot quieter than the Browns Road spot I?d just
left. I found several Southern Scrub-robin, Variegated Fairy-wren and some
Purple-crowned Lorikeet flew over. On the way back to the Freeway to head
home I passed a tree with a lot of blossom on it. In the tree were 10
Purple-crowned Lorikeet, as well as lots of White-plumed and Brown-headed
Honeyeaters.

A total of 30 species for the day and the discovery of a lunch spot that I
plan to return to in the future.

The next day I did a short trip to Aldinga Scrub (a conservation park at the
far Southern end of Adelaide). It rained all day but it was only light for
most of the time I was at the scrub. I entered near the Caravan park and
found a male Hooded Robin straight away, the other highlights next to the
road were a male Mistletoe bird and a Spotted Pardalote. When I got further
into the scrub it was very quiet but I started finding some circular
depressions in the leaf litter suggesting that some button-quail were about.
I was about to turn back because of the rain when I flushed a Painted
button-quail beside the path and then another flushed from the other side of
the path right in front of me. On the way back out to the main road I also
passed a flock of nine White-faced Heron.