birding-aus

Barking Owls in Melbourne

To: Lawrie Conole <>, Ian R <>, Keith Johnson <>, Ken Harris <>, Mark Fanthorpe <>, Aun Tiah Lim <>
Subject: Barking Owls in Melbourne
From: Laurie Living <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:45:22 +1000
Hi Lawrie and others interested in barking owls

Yesterday Ian Rainbow and I were checking on some powerful owl sites in Lysterfield [park on edge of Dandenong Ranges, 40 kms east of Melbourne]
when we disturbed a barking owl roosting in a creek gully.

The owl flew 30 metres away to a higher roost, and provided good views until chased away by a grey butcherbird.

Barking owls successfully nested on a property in Mt Evelyn [also edge of the Dandenongs] in 2003.

Cheers

Laurie Living

Lawrie Conole wrote:

Dave Torr wrote:

Not sure if you count Monbulk as a suburb, but I had it when I lived there in June last year - just one night and it was flying round my house for maybe 10 minutes "barking" - no way it could have been a dog from the movement!

Dave's record of a flying dog sounds plausible enough, but I do have my doubts about _some_ suburban Melbourne Barking Owl records of recent years.

Recently when doing some work at Montrose (not so very far from Monbulk), we used owl playback in a survey. Our Barking Owl taped call was heard by a local, and dutifully reported elsewhere as a Barking Owl record! Another resident's description of a Barking Owl barking turned out to be a brushtail possum coughing. I'm even more sceptical about records based on the 'screaming woman' call (see earlier e-mail on this list) - as I'm reasonably certain many of those are foxes, and some may be Masked Owls.

All of that said, there are some Barkers still hanging on in various bits of Metro Melbourne. I'd like to see a few more of them checked out and verified.

L.