birding-aus

Large Raptor ID?

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Large Raptor ID?
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 14:50:54 +1000
I was walking alongside the Nepean at Penrith around Noon today where there
is presently a very large flock of Pied Currawongs roosting in the riverside
trees and making a terrific noise with their calling and rushing to and fro
between the trees.

Suddenly they all took off and headed South and when I looked North to see
what had startled them, I saw a very large raptor coming towards me. It then
circled overhead for about 5 minutes. The underside of the bird was white
with grey/black markings, the shoulders were black with black lines going
inward from the shoulders to the rear of the edge of the secondaries. I
often see Black-shouldered Kites in this area, but that has different
markings.

The only one in my Pizzey & Knight which is similar to what I saw is the
Osprey? Is this likely along the Nepean? (White-bellied Sea Eagles do occur
here and sometimes nest in a gorge a couple of miles from here, but it was
not one of them).

Would appreciate any comments on this one.

Mike Simpson, Penrith, NSW, Australia
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds