birding-aus

Long Point, Orange

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Long Point, Orange
From: "Stephen Gross" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:23:28 +1000
Back into the holiday mode again. I spent last week in Brisbane and netted
13 lifers both around Brisbane and up at Inskip Point, including one Black
Breasted Buttonquail. A number of terns flew overhead at times while I was
at Inskip Point. They appeared to be very white underneath with dark heads
and long tails. I was thinking perhaps Roseate Terns but didn't know if they
were seen that far south. There were also three Beach Stone Curlews at the
very tip of the point, a new bird for me.

Anyway, this morning I went for a wander around Long Point which is on the
Macquarie River about 30 kms north east of Orange. The area was very dry
with locusts everywhere and not as many birds as usual. Still, birds seen
here were:-

White Faced Heron
Wedge Tailed Eagle
Brown Falcon
Peaceful Dove
Turquoise Parrot
Brown Treecreeper
Superb Fairywren
White Plumed Honeyeater
Eastern Yellow Robin
Hooded Robin
Crested Shriketit
Williw Wagtail
Black Faced Cuckooshrike
Dusky Woodswallow
Double Barred Finch (a new bird for my Orange list)
Red Browed Finch
Diamond Firetail
Welcome Swallow

Regards Steve Gross