birding-aus

Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Fwd: Seven Spirit Bay (NT)

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Fwd: Seven Spirit Bay (NT)
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:54:48 +1000

Begin forwarded message:

From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: 9 April 2004 6:31:18 AM
To: Russell Woodford <>
Subject: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Fwd: Seven Spirit Bay (NT)

Dear Russell
Thank you for the publishing the message. A few changes. The mid-year trip is now being held from 18 -22 June, and it is to Baby Dreaming. For details contact Principal Mick Banks, Casuarina Night School, 08 89201200, or me.

For those interested in the Baby Dreaming project my Aboriginal relatives and I have started in western Arnhem Land, we've launched The Baby Dreaming
newsletter.

The first edition covered a range of topics from my trip down south to the reactions of visitors. The second will contain two pieces, one written by Peterson and the other by Yvonne Margarulla, spokesperson for the Mirrar of
Kakadu and Peterson's grand-daughter/niece.  You may have seen her on
television - she led the fight against the Jabiluka uranium mine.

Yvonne and Peterson have both written about the Binninj (Aboriginal)
perspective of tourism, country and crocodiles. Recently the Mirrar people tried to stop swimming in Twin Falls, Kakadu because of their concerns for tourists, heightened since the death of a young woman 18 months ago. There was a backlash, with letters to the NT News from both locals and tourists
ridiculing the Mirrar decision.  It seemed such people confused Mirrar
concern for visitors with a drive for power and money.

In the newsletter we give the Binninj perspective. Questions from readers
will be published along with the Binninj response.

 Subscriptions are $25 a year (ten issues), Australia; $40 overseas.

Thanks
Denise
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
61 (0)8 89 818492