birding-aus

Help ! Have your say about plans for Ricketts Point, SE Melbourne

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Help ! Have your say about plans for Ricketts Point, SE Melbourne
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:36:52 +1000
Dear all

This is an appeal to all who know Ricketts Point's birds to help reduce
disturbance of the birds.

Please respond to the Parks Victoria "Have your Say" section at:
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/08_1122.pdf

As the introductory page to "Have your say" says "Please disregard the date on
the brochures - responses are welcome at any time. Responses can either be
posted (to the address on the brochure) or e-mailed to
 "

Why respond? The local dog lobbies are putting a lot of pressure on Bayside
Council for more, not less, dog access and the largest one seems totally
uninterested in wildlife. Dog walkers have been told to "have their say" to
Parks Victoria demanding no restrictions.

But we have records of 28 of the 68 species seen in the seagrass areas and on
the rock platforms being disturbed into movement, with dogs often responsible
in cases where birds leave the area completely. Species that have been
disturbed include rarities like Curlew, Tattler and Great Knot and also the
(un)Common Terns preparing to migrate there in recent weeks.

I think dogs should be banned from the seagrass and the rock platforms. But
please let Parks Victoria know what you think - or just say that the birds
should be protected. It would be good to let Bayside City Council know your
views too as the rock platforms by the beach are above high tide and not in the
Marine Sanctuary.

There's a general note on the birds and mammals of the area at:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ricketts/birds_and_mammals.htm
and a bird list (noting which have been disturbed) at:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~ricketts/bird_list.htm

Of course disturbance by people is also important and I hope Parks Victoria and
Bayside City Council will do something about that too. But the hot issue is
dogs.

Michael Norris

PS if you have received this directly from me and do not wish to have further
emails about Bayside's birds and animals, please let me know