birding-aus

PAGE 6: Trip highlights: Bris->Katoomba->Bris

Subject: PAGE 6: Trip highlights: Bris->Katoomba->Bris
From: Judith Lukin-Amundsen <>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:54:34 +1000
LAST PAGE

*The mystery bird in Capertee: At the campground in Glen Davis, just to the right of the buildings facing the slope, there are some bushes between the parking area and the track at the back. Here, near the shelter of these bushes, Diamond Firetails were feeding on the ground. While watching them, I realised a cryptic bird was nearby. Plumaged chiefly in Capertee drought ground-colours, the bird was the shape of a big, fat robin - if you can imagine such a thing. head, eyes, and beak looked like those of a robin, so that the body looked disproportionately round and comfy-large. Solitary and inconspicuous, the bird fed steadily on the ground. The only colours I could see on it were a small powder-blue square peeping out from under the wing on the flank, and a hint of russet at the throat. My thought was a juvenile Spotted Quail-thrush - but the books read uncertainly on plumage coloration for this, and one author mentions that this bird's head would bob when it walks: I did not observe this. However, a description given of the bird's behaviour when flushed did match with this creature's... So - any ideas?

END
--

Judith