birding-aus

Owlet-nightjars

To: <>
Subject: Owlet-nightjars
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:54:06 +1100
G'day all,
It seems there are many differing experiences as far as actually seeing Owlet-Nightjars is concerned. In 11 years of wandering around the Australian bush(not continuously!), I've now had about 6 sightings. Always the same. The bird flies from it's small hollow (in my case usually a mallee tree) as I just walk past.No tapping required!
Nearly every time it will perch not far away and loo at me intently.
Perhaps as previously suggested a response to potential attack by goannas?!

Simon Starr.