birding-aus

The Sequence of Orders and Families

To: <>
Subject: The Sequence of Orders and Families
From: "Myles H-C" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:44:46 +1000
G'day,

Until I took up birding, I had lived a fairly "ordered" life.  I could use phone books, catalogues etc to look up people or products pretty quickly; without having to use any index because the information was all presented in an alphabetical order.

I recently carried out some data entry of about 1000 records of birding information, and I very quickly realised that I lacked a fundamental skill requirement for the job. It was absolutely nothing to do with computers I must add.  The problem was to do with placing individual records in the birding Order and Species sequence.

I have been using Field Guides for years and years, to look up birds via the alphabetic index at the back, but always find it frustrating if not useless trying to look them up DIRECTLY by knowing where particular species appear in the sequence of Orders etc.

I would be very very grateful if some kind person would put me out of my misery by pointing me to:
- a source that explains WHY the sequence of Orders and Species is as it is, and
- any "crib-sheet" or "mind-bender" methods used to teach and/or memorise the sequence!

Furthermore, and without wishing to appear to be a heretic or worse, has there been any serious attempt in the past to publish professional ornithological information or Field Guides in a more intuitive/logical sequence, and if so, who killed it off and why!!!!

Kind regards,

Myles