birding-aus

Re: Bugs not birds

Subject: Re: Bugs not birds
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:46:57 +1100
On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 02:56:44PM +1100,  wrote:
> For moths and also butterflies many of the Australain books are rather
> technical treatises rather than ready to use identification guides.  As far
> as I'm aware there have not been any recent guides to this sort of thing
> but the following should be accessable via a good library.  ...

Andrew Isles has "Moths of Australia" - for half price, but that is
still $75.  As Martin says its a technical reference and not easy to
read but its a lovely book.

"Australian Insects - A Natural History" by Bert Brunet is much more
easy-to-read.  Again its not an id. guide but some of the conspicuous
species around Sydney are depicted.

Two weeks ago my 5 year old daughter found a brightly coloured "beetle"
in the backyard and I was asked to identify it and supply suitable
information to be conveyed with its display at kindergarten   the
next day.  I said something about it being an impossible task as there
are about a million species of invertebrates in Australia  and most
of them beetles .  But when went to the bookshelf I found its picture
on the cover of Brunet's book!  Incidentally not a beetle but a bug,
a Cotton Harlequin Bug.

There is a good web resource for caterpillars:
http://www-staff.mcs.uts.edu.au/~don/larvae/larvae.html
I used it to identify an Impatiens Hawk Moth caterpillar found in our
backyard earlier this year.  It was good value as it went to kindergarten
as a caterpillar and then 4 weeks later as a newly-emerged moth.

Andrew