birding-aus

Bugs not birds

To: "Karen Pearson" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Bugs not birds
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:39:48 +1100
Karen and all,

The sheer number of species means that any popular books on insects or
invertebrates will be very general in nature. From my own bookshelf are two
small books which I find useful....

For insects: Zborowski & Storey, "A Field Guide to Insects in Australia"
(Reed, 1995). Includes a key to the 26 orders of insects in Australia and
descriptions of the larger families; plenty of photos.

For invertebrates: Harvey & Yen, "Worms to Wasps: an illustrated guide to
Australia's terrestrial invertebrates" (OUP, 1989). Also containing a key
and a description of each order, with a line drawing of one representative
species from each order.

For butterflies I have an old field guide edition of Common & Waterhouse
"Butterflies of Australia". I would be interested to hear what other
butterfly or (especially) moth books are available.

I think this is very much bird related, and I would also be interested in
hearing others' suggestions.

Cheers
Carol