birding-aus

Unidentified Water Bird

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Unidentified Water Bird
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:22:18 +1100
G'day All,

Thanks to all who thoughtfully gave an opinion and advice re the query I
passed on about an unidentified water bird. I did not realize how the
description could be stretched a little here and there to produce so many
credible possibilities! Suggestions ranged from Aussie Wood Duck through to
Cormorant, Cotton Pygmy Goose, Whistling Duck, Greylag Goose, Darter,
Freckled Duck or a Duck or Goose hybrid! I spoke to the lady concerned
again, (she really does know her birds) and she assures me that it was
definitely not any of those, with the exception of perhaps a hybrid goose.
It was about the size of a small goose apparently. The water of the lake
where it was observed is quickly drying up, and though the bird has been
searched for daily since the close observation, it has not been seen since
then. It may go down as one of those birding mysteries that we all have now
and then.

It was gratifying to know so many were willing to help with advice - really
Birding-aus at its best. Thanks again.

Chris Coleborn