birding-aus

Unidentified Water Bird

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Unidentified Water Bird
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:51:07 +1100
Hello All,

An older birdo I know at Murtoa (Central Vic) has asked me about a water
bird seen several times on Lake Marma in Murtoa. It has me stumped! She is
very frustrated at not being able to ID it, and pleads for some help. She
wonders if it is a vagrant. Her description is as follows:

"It is basically a grey bird, (on the head and back especially) and bigger
than a Black Duck. It has a goose like neck about 10" long. It has black on
the top of the head and a dark eye. The underside is whitish, cream with a
little flush of gold. It has a short tail and shortish legs. It has perched
in a dead tree and has been around the water's edge with Black Ducks." A
look at Aust Field Guides and Hamlyn's guide to birds of the world has not
helped her identify it. Definitely NOT a Cape Barren Goose.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chris Coleborn