birding-aus

Another superb seawatch from Maroubra (Sydney NSW) - 13th March 2004

To: <>
Subject: Another superb seawatch from Maroubra (Sydney NSW) - 13th March 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:30:32 +1100

Today (Saturday, 13th March 2004) David Mitford, Simon Blanchflower, Dion Hobcroft and myself enjoyed a wonderful time sea watching from Maroubra (within 10km south of the Sydney CBD). David and I had our scopes on the sea for most of the daylight hours today and we were joined by Simon and Dion for part of the afternoon.

The main highlights today were a GREY NODDY (seen quite close to the rocks), a WHITE TERN (within a km from the shore) and 2 STREAKED SHEARWATERS (amongst a list of 7 species of Shearwaters for the day). In total we saw 19 species of seabird (we were hoping to get one more to exceed David Mitford?s previous record of 19 but we missed on seeing one of the more usual seabirds, the Little Pied Cormorant which would have allowed this to happen).

What appeared to be large floating piece of cuttlefish about a km from the shore attracted a number of Fleshy-footed Shearwaters and a few Pomarine Jaegers. At one time we also had very close to shore, a group of 7 Pomarine Jaegers (one light phase bird in immaculate adult breeding plumage with spoon shaped extensions to the tail) and a few Wedge-tailed Shearwaters following a fishing boat heading south. All but 3 Australasian Gannets seen were either juv. Or Immature birds, with a few juv. Gannets seen coming within a few metres from the rocks.

Both Common and Bottle-nosed Dolphins were the cetaceans seen and later in the afternoon.

Species and minimum numbers seen were as follows:

Fairy Penguin (heard calling a few times below the cliff)

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (160)

Fleshy-footed Shearwater (20)

Short-tailed Shearwater (120)

Sooty Shearwater (2)

STREAKED SHEARWATER (2)

Hutton?s Shearwater (3)

Fluttering Shearwater (3)

Fluttering/Hutton?s Shearwater (15)

Australasian Gannet (50)

Little Black Cormorant (2)

Great Cormorant (2)

Pied Cormorant (2)

Arctic Jaeger (9)

Pomarine Jaeger (48) (one dark morph bird was seen)

Kelp Gull (1 adult)

Silver Gull (200)

Crested Tern (50)

WHITE TERN (1)