birding-aus

Great bunch of birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Great bunch of birds
From: "Colin Driscoll" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:28:28 +1100
Hi all

I was working  at Cooranbong (NSW Central Coast) this morning and was in a
dense patch of vegetation along the edge of the upper reaches of Dora Creek
when I heard bunch of birds all scolding at something. Never did find out
what got them going but in the one location there were:

Male & female Eastern Whipbird
Yellow-throated Scrubwren
White-browed Scrubwren
Black-faced Monarch
Rufous Fantail
Grey Fantail
Yellow Robin
Striated Thornbill
Superb Fairy-wren
Satin Bowerbird
Lewin's Honeyeater
Brown Cuckoo-Dove
Nearby I could hear a White's Thrush

And also a mystery bird. It was a robin by behaviour and size- had that
quick downward flicking of the wings that robins do. Trouble is its colour
was more akin to the monarch in that it had a charcoal & white face pattern
and a rufous chest and grey/brown back. Could have been a female Red-capped
or Flame Robin but it had quite a distinctive face pattern.

There was also what I took to be the Brown Gerygone but does this bird have
two small white patches on the upper primaries and a faint off-white face
stripe running from the beak well below the eye.

Cheers

Colin Driscoll

Colin Driscoll
Environmental Biologist