birding-aus

Koels and Long-tailed Cuckoos

To: <>
Subject: Koels and Long-tailed Cuckoos
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:01:52 +1100
Hi Birds,
Christine queried whether it was too late for Koels, believing thay most should have migrated northwards by now. However there are normally still juvenile Koels in NSW throughout March, although most Koels, both adults and juveniles have departed. They are still being reported from the NSW Central Coast at present.

I would also like to comment about the alleged sighting of a Long-tailed Cuckoo at Maianbar, near Royal NP in NSW. As yet there are no confirmed records for Long-tailed Cuckoos in NSW although I suppose it has to happen. As the birds move between New Zealand and the Solomon Islands & New Guinea, you would think that at least one should be blown onto the NSW coast in one of the Tropical Lows that we have recently experienced. Confusion between immature Koels with their rufous and buff-coloured heads and juvenile and adult Long-tailed Cuckoos could be expected. I have not seen the latter but HANZAB shows that the breast of both adult and juvenile LTC are are white or buff, with dark streaks while the breasts of female and juvenile Koels are pale or buff with dark scalloped markings. Note that in HANZAB, a rufous crowned female is also illustrated so that not all females have black heads!

The Birds Australia Rrecords Committee would welcome any submissions on possible Long-tailed Cuckoo sightings!

Alan Morris
Birding NSW Records Officer