birding-aus

Superb Fairy-Wrens

To: <>
Subject: Superb Fairy-Wrens
From: "Max Boyd Richards" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:20:11 +1100
Dear All

We have had a family of Superb Fairy-Wrens around our house garden for some 10 months.  Mum and Dad seem to have been lucky to raise four young 'uns.  (It was simply marvellous to see them all sitting on the fence together with the young kids mucking around and mum and dad keeping an eye on them.)

But it has now been two weekends  and there has been no sign or sound of them. The first weekend was hot but this last weekend was somewhat cooler.  There are three bird baths dotted through the garden  with ample water.  There has however been a lone grey butcher bird hanging around and making his presence felt.

Could it be that our family are laying low or that the Butcher bird has been able to frighten them away or worse still...... ???

There is another family of Brown Thornbills that are still around but they also are not visiting the bird baths or the house garden.  A group of European Goldfinches also seem to have left area.  In fact our garden has been eerily quiet over the past two weekends - change of seasons ???

Grateful for any feedback on the wrens and their habits and if the butcher bird is our problem.

Max &  Jocelyn  Boyd Richards

Kardella South

S.W. Gippsland, Victoria

Health