birding-aus

State of the world’s birds 2004

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: State of the world’s birds 2004
From: knightl <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:53:17 +1000
The following item may be of interest ...

http://www.birdlife.net/action/science/species/sowb/pdfs.html

State of the world’s birds 2004: indicators for our changing world
Birdlife International

Introduction

1  How to use this book and Overview (329 KB)
4  Biodiversity underpins our lives, but is rapidly being eroded (442
KB)
6  Birds tell us about the world's biodiversity (327 KB)

STATE: What birds tell us about problems

8Many common species are in decline (377 KB)
10  Declines can be quick and catastrophic (340 KB)
12  Numerous species have been driven extinct (847 KB)
14  Many species are close to extinction (319 KB)
16  Species are becoming more threatened (315 KB)
18  Threatened species occur world-wide (380 KB)
20  Most species have strong habitat preferences (352 KB)
22  Many species have small ranges or concentrate at a few sites (307
KB)
24  Key species pinpoint key sites – Important Bird Areas (313 KB)
26  Important Bird Areas form networks in the landscape (374 KB)
28  Important Bird Areas capture much other biodiversity (429 KB)

PRESSURE: What birds tell us about solutions

30 Habitat destruction is the largest of the many threats to
biodiversity (270 KB)
32 Expanding agriculture destroys more habitat than any other factor
(296 KB)
34 Intensification of agriculture is a major cause of habitat
degradation (709 KB)
36 Unsustainable forestry is rapidly eroding biodiversity (313 KB)
38 Infrastructure development is a growing problem (407 KB)
40 Pollution remains a serious concern (309 KB)
42 Many species are exploited beyond sustainable levels (312 KB)
44 Alien invasive species, including diseases, are spreading (308 KB)
46 Climate change is already impacting biodiversity (331 KB)
48 Climate change will soon threaten many more species with extinction (371 KB)
50 Immediate threats to biodiversity have much deeper causes (748 KB)
52 We fail to recognise biodiversity’s true value, and therefore make poor decisions (291 KB)

RESPONSE: What birds tell us about solutions

54 Effective conservation requires much larger and better-targeted
investment (317 KB)
56 Actions have been identified for all Globally Threatened Birds (344 KB)
58 With appropriate action, species can recover (390 KB)
60 IBAs need safeguard, as a major part of securing the key
biodiversity areas network (588 KB)
62 Safeguarding IBAs requires diverse approaches (408 KB)
64 Biodiversity in the wider landscape must be sustained too (643 KB)
66 International agreements have great potential to help conserve
biodiversity (284 KB)
68 Agreements must be made to work, through political will backed by
real resources (302 KB)
70 We need a better way of tracking progress – and birds can help (285 KB)
72 Birds make us aware of the vital choices that we face (351 KB)