birding-aus

White Necked Plover #1

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: White Necked Plover #1
From: knightl <>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:46:12 +1000
I tried to post this item to the list yesterday, following on from Tom's post, but the software with limited intelligence guarding this newsgroup keeps rejecting the post [eg it doesn't like the word for an infant aviod], so I have modified the post and am submitting it is sections.

Basically, I have looked at upwards of 100 photographs of Kentish / Snowy Plovers [did a google search under "charadrius alexandrinus photo" - meant I could access photos from around the world].

The one thing I can say is that there is a huge variation in the appearance of the plovers, both in terms of apparent shape [some look small and puffy, while others look more the size and shape of a lesser sand] and in their plumage. For example, some have very substantial white eye brows extending back towards the neckband, while on others the eye brow is short, narrow or almost non-existent. The neck band is of variable width, as is the shoulder patches / chest line. Some plovers would appear to have a complete chest band when viewed from side on. Some plovers have dark legs while others have lemon-grey legs. Some plovers also have a very fine black line running above their ear coverts. The following websites should help people with future discussions over possible Charadrius alexandrinus sightings ...

[see part two]

Regards, Laurie.