birding-aus

Spangled Drongo

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Spangled Drongo
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:39:16 +1000
I really doubt that the mimicry of the Spangled Drongo is mainly for entrapment.

The bird in my yard was doing calls of the Rainbow Bee-eater which flies over regularly, or occasionally sits on the Electricity wire, but the Black-faced Monarch has never visited, and never would be in that habitat.   Do birds get bored?  It seemed to me more for self amusement!

We also went haring after a Riflebird call in a nearby forest one day a few years ago - thinking it a strange place for a Riflebird - and again found the culprit to be a Spangled Drongo.

Recently, I tried to find another bird doing mimicry at the Hyatt Regency at Coolum Beach, but was unsuccessful.
It was down in a gully near the littoral rainforest, and copying Eastern Whipbird, Brown Thornbill, and a couple of others which I now can't recall, but I'd only have marked it at 6 out of 10, whatever it was!    Had thought of a Drongo or even an Oriole, but decided against them.   Am left to ponder forever.

Robyn