birding-aus

My holiday

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: My holiday
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:16:13 +1000
g'day all,
I have just returned from a little over two weeks visiting the Atherton Tablelands, Cairns and the Daintree/Cape Tribulation area.
It was actually a stress relieving break after my home was flooded inside by over 1/2 metre of water during our recent floods.

It was quite a challenge getting to Kingfisher Park, Julatten to farewell resident guides Andrew & Carol Iles.
At the Burke & Wills Roadhouse (Sth of Normanton) I was informed  the Flinders River went over the bridge that morning, but the Burke & Wills road to Julia Creek was open. Unfortunately 150km down the road the Gilliat River had 60cm running over the causeway. So back up to B & W and back down to the Cloncurry after going thru it 8 hours and 650km earlier !! Birdwatching can be very hard work !

I dipped on the Great-billed Heron with guides Chris Dahlberg (in the morning) and Lee Lafferty (in the afternoon) but still enjoyed the other birds we saw. Red Mill House advise it has been seen subsequently so a good reason to return.

But I was quite satisfied with 3 new birds for the trip
- Papuan Frogmouth (nesting around the corner from Red Mill House at Daintree)
 See their daily bird list and Bulletin Board at http://www.redmillhouse.com.au/
 (It was very relaxing watching their Orange-footed Scrubfowl poking about while eating a superb breakfast.)

- Black-throated Finches at Croydon where the Savannah guide sees them on a regular basis.
 (He recommended the sports fields .. but these were being mowed for a forthcoming cricket match. However I saw a dozen birds feeding on the grasses at the nearby Lake Belmore playground area.The Croydon Info Centre has available a comprehensive annotated bird list. He also said a Grey Falcon flies thru most days.

- Terek Sandpiper at the Cairns Esplanade.
 (I stayed at the Barron River Hotel, which is good for cheap accom & excellent meals)

And up in the Cape Tribulation area a Beach Stone-curlew. I believe this to be at a "new" site and have advised appropriate local Birds Australia persons.

I found the RACQ Road report reasonably good at http://www.racq.com.au/cgi-bin/roadreport/0213_main_map.cfm but conditions can and did change very quickly.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.