birding-aus

Barren Grounds

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Barren Grounds
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:30:32 +1100
I had the opportunity to visit Barren Grounds on 25th January. Barren Grounds is located on the Illawarra Escapement between Jamberoo and Robertson on the south coast of NSW. It has been many years since I had been there and I had forgotten what a wonderful place Barren Ground is to go birding.. Although the weather was very light misty rain, which limited visibility, I still found relatively easily 4 or the 5 special birds at Barren Grounds. I had excellent view of 3 Eastern Bristlebirds, two Beautiful Firetails, two stunning male Southern Emu-Wrens and a Pilotbird. The Pilotbird was the bird I really wanted to see and was rewarded with views at 2.5 metres. I was close enough to see some sort of "growth: between its eye and bill, which may or may not have been a leech. Although the bird was close it was extremely active so it was difficult to see. The only special bird at Barren Grounds I dipped on was the Ground Parrot.

I walked from the Picnic Ground to the Stone Bridge. For those who know Barren Grounds,  you will the Stone Bridge is a truely beuatiful place. If you have never been Barren Grounds and get the opportunity to go, include it in your itinery.

Allan

Allan Benson
Ourimbah
NSW