birding-aus

Re: Unknown Wader near Cue (Small Sharpie?)

Subject: Re: Unknown Wader near Cue (Small Sharpie?)
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:58:41 +0800
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

Most suggestions point to a Red-necked Phalarope on the left. Just goes to show that I should have looked closer at the time, rather than trying to get a photo (with a very small view finder).

Some more details.

1.  Both birds had a black line down the middle of the rump in flight.

2. I was at Derby sewage ponds yesterday and I was looking at 40 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, so I had a closer look. Most didn't have an apparent eyebrow, but on a few (maybe 5 or so) there was a slight appearance of an eyebrow. Nothing like as apparent on the birds at Cue though.

There was one smaller bird (not a Long-toed Stint which there was one). No apparent eyebrow. No finer bill. I still thought it was a Sharpie even though it was say 20% smaller in body mass.

PS : You may remember me mentioning a year or more ago that the Derby overflow ponds were being redesigned. This was my first chance to see the results. The ponds are good, but nowhere near as good as they have been in the past. But because of the smaller size, they may be more consistent that the past. In the past they could be very spread out and it would ages to walk around. They could also be dried out and nothing there. It is easy to walk around now, but much smaller. They had sprinklers going around the outside. This may be to keep the water level lower when it gets to a certain height???

No major rarities, but two snipe, some Black-tailed Godwit, Marsh Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Sharpies, the Long-toed Stint, Common Greenshank, one Little Curlew, etc.

So not a disaster, but maybe less potential than the past. They have also built a viewing platform for the main ponds. This is effective, although the closer birds flush to the back ponds which makes a little harder to observe.