birding-aus

New Zealand storm-petrel sightings - photos and info

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: New Zealand storm-petrel sightings - photos and info
From: Brent Stephenson <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:21:49 +1300

Hi all,

Thought I would just direct the keen seabirders amongst you to the latest page I have put up about the New Zealand storm-petrel and its rediscovery.  On 18 January we took a trip to the area that Bob Flood and Bryan Thomas visited on 17 November and saw their ‘flock’ of birds.  Similarly, we encountered at least 11 birds at one time around the boat, but there was possibly some turn over of birds during the 4 hours we drifted and chummed.

What an amazing day!  Making it even more sensational was the fact the 3 News were onboard and managed to get excellent footage during the day.  It was then shown as the lead story on Monday 19 Jan evening News – not often birds take first priority!!

I managed to get some pretty good photos of the birds, and these show how variable the streaking on the breast and belly can be.  Some birds were very lightly streaked (making it hard to see any streaks even when viewed from 20-30m), whilst others were very prominently streaked, almost to the extent of having black flanks/axillaries.  White-faced storm-petrels were the only other stormie species seen, and anything different would have stuck out a mile following excellent extended views of both species.  At some stages during the day, NZSP were often the most common species!!  Crazy stuff and an absolutely fantastic trip!

Take a look at the photos and information at

http://www.wrybill-tours.com/idproblems/stormpet4.htm

Cheers,

Brent

Brent Stephenson

Eco-Vista: Photography & Research + Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ

email m("paradise.net.nz","eco-vista");">

http://www.eco-vista.com and http://www.wrybill-tours.com