birding-aus

Little Terns Towra Spit

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Little Terns Towra Spit
From: jilldening <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:52:50 +1000
  TERRILL NORDSTROM  16/1/04 12:20 AM
> What actions would I propose to help stop the destruction of Little Tern
> nesting sites Jill Dening ask.

I was delighted to read Terrill's reply. I admit that when I wrote it, I had
a small dose of irritation after hearing innumerable times over the years,
"They ought to do something.........", when if fact it is WE, the people,
who have an opinion, who bear the responsibility of activating whatever
proposal is deemed appropriate for the situations we face.

You don't need to do it alone - you gather up people with various fields of
expertise along the way. You use their knowledge as the need arises. Ask
shamelessly (flatter),  and they will offer willingly. You don't need a long
line of experience. You do need time, and I know many of the people on this
list don't have that luxury, though many do. You can learn as you go. I did,
and am still learning, and always will. When I first found myself as the
driving factor in the construction of an artificial wader roost on Bribie
Island, SEQld, how much roost-building experience do you think I had had?
Exactly zilch. But I could read a book which had been written by Wayne
Lawler for people like me, and after reading it a couple of times, I felt
much more able to give design advice, and to think things through for
myself. Thanks be to the gods for Wayne Lawler, whom I have never met. And
to all the wonderful people who have understood my dream and helped me to
achieve it.

I would love to think that there are people on this list who are reading
this, and who then say to themselves, "Yes, I could do something to salvage
that crisis that I have seen." You just take it a day at a time. I have to
say that the pleasure that I have gained from the accrual of knowledge is in
itself a reason for doing it.

There's more: our artificial roost has never attracted as many waders as the
roost which was destroyed for development. Our weak point is the Eastern
Curlew. I always believed that this could be the case, and so I had a backup
plan to raise the height tolerance of another roost in the surrounding
network. We drew up plans, we wrote a project plan, we held a workshop,
though we had no money. We applied for funds, and they didn't come. Until
yesterday morning we still had no money. And then yesterday I received a
phone call to say that our funding was tentatively approved. Not what we
sought, but probably enough to get going. Right out of the blue, there is
the money waiting for us, and now, because of all the preparation we have
done, we are poised to act. I have just made a appointment to meet the
engineer and others on site on Monday.

I am telling you all this so that you can get some insight into how you go
about making things happen, when at first you might only feel powerless.

So think about this, and use this list to activate a plan to address the
destruction of shorebird nesting sites along the NSW coast. Tell Terrill if
you can help.

cheers,

Jill

--