birding-aus

Little Terns

Subject: Little Terns
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:35:09 +0000
I once inadvertently strayed near a Little Tern breeding colony in Britain and got several good pecks on the head before I managed to beat a retreat.

If breeding Little Terns in Australia are anything like as belligerent people who damage nests &c must be under constant attack. I suppose it would have been easier for the Wallaga Lake vandals who attacked the colony after dark.

Perhaps some attacks on colonies occur because people don;t like feeling they have been "beaten" by a small bird? (No accounting for some people's mentality).

John L

John Leonard (Dr)

http://www.webone.com.au/~jleonard
PO Box 243, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia