birding-aus

Black Bittern at Penrith

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Black Bittern at Penrith
From: "Graham Turner Ozemail" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:37:13 +1100
Gidday birders,
                        over the last week I've taken advantage of the hot
weather to do some Bass fishing on the Nepean River near Penrith (50Km west of
Sydney). The area where I fish is very close to industrial areas and the river
is topped up with treated effluent from the sewage works, yet it has an
incredible bird diversity (and fish, but I won't go into that).        Regular
birds include Scarlet Honeyeayer, Azure Kingfisher, Little Egret, Koel,
Dollarbird and reed warbler.

Last night was going well until I managed to catch an overhanging willow
branch, about 3 m from the waters edge. With the average price of a Bass lure
being in the $20 range, there was nothing for it but to wade into the river to
retrieve my gear. I was up to my waist in water and grumbling about willows
when a Black Bittern flew from just above my head to the other side of the
river. Not bad I thought until if was followed shortly after by a Nankeen Nigh
Heron.

Not bad for a river showing real signs of drough stress.

Cheers
Graham Turner
Lapstone, Lower Blue Mountains,
@ 60km west of Sydney