birding-aus

Edgell Ponds, Brisbane, SE Qld

Subject: Edgell Ponds, Brisbane, SE Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:05:43 +1000
Hi
        Went on the search for the Reeve/Ruff and Spotless Crake at the ponds
in Murarrie (SE Brisbane) yesterday Sunday 11th. I was successful with the
latter, but unsure of the presence of the former.
        The Crake showed again at almost the same spot as the original ? on the
edge of the main pond on the ?west? side of the railway track. This pond is
still fairly ?flooded ? not much mud but it?s starting to show so would
anticipate a better opportunity here for the Reeve in coming weeks ? if it?s
still around.
I checked the other pond on the ?east? side of the railway track and did
see about 35 Sharp-tailed Sands. I also had a single wader, alone, that
might have been the Reeve (hence my uncertainty) but it flushed and
disappeared very quickly so I was unable to establish identification. One
note ? it ?towered? immediately on rising and that?s not something I have
seen Sharpies do? Not sure if this is distinctive of Reeves/Ruffs.
        Other interesting birds seen included 2, maybe 3 Glossy Ibis, 2 Brown
Goshawks (my first time seen here, but recorded recently by other observers)
and 2 Bar-shouldered Doves (again the first I have seen here).
        I did find that the gate ?between? the 2 areas has now got a lock on it
? previously it was only wired. To avoid climbing the fence, (being wire it is
difficult), if you walk parallel to the railway track on the ?west? side there
is a bridge/culvert under the railway about 100 meters further up that is
negotiable and avoids both crossing the track and climbing the fence!
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......