birding-aus

RFI Bird Banders/birders -Crows/Raven

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: RFI Bird Banders/birders -Crows/Raven
From: "N & J Russill" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:11:13 +1100
I am requesting information re. bird seen by me at Bonnie Vale (RNP - south
of Sydney) 31.1.203, and tentatively id. as a Torresian Crow.    Description
was as follows "Bonnie Vale (Bundeena)  on the left after entering the Park,
overlooking the lagoon.  My attention was drawn to a wet bird sitting on a
branch above the water, preening.   The size of a Raven and black, as it
preened snow white feathers fluttered down to the water, it had a white eye.
The base of all feathers around the head and neck were snow white.   The
bird did not call.   I am convinced that the bird was a Torresian Crow, due
to the white in the feathers and the size of the bird.    I am hoping that
all birders visiting this area could keep a look out for the bird and let us
know when and if you see it, as it is an unusual sighting for this area and
would indicate an extension of range".   Following this it has been
suggested that an Australian Raven with a white eye (i.e. in its 3rd. year )
can have snow white feathers at base around head and neck.   Can another
birdo/bird bander give any further information re. this.      Please feel
free to reply to me personally as some of you have done, your name will
remain CONFIDENTIAL- no axe will fall on your neck! from those 'EXPERTS'
Happy birding   Judith Russill