birding-aus

Bird whistlers... any good?

To: Michael Whitehead <>
Subject: Bird whistlers... any good?
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:03:04 +1000
Hi Mike,

I found that they work well for fairywrens but I still think 'squeaking' with the back of your hand is more effective.

Tom Tarrant :-)

Michael Whitehead wrote:
Hi all,

         This Christmas I was the lucky recipient of a gift in the form of small little device proporting to attract to wild birds through sound. It is an Audubon bird call which essentially works by sqeaking a birchwood barrell around a metal shaft. They're available from Australian Geo. shops.

        Have any birders had any success with these things? They sound kinda neat and are fun to play with but are they actually capable of attracting wild birds? Has anyone had success using one? Whats the best way to use it?

        A happy new year to all.

                            Mike.

--
Tom & Marie Tarrant