birding-aus

Buckley's Hole status and booklet

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Buckley's Hole status and booklet
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:53:53 +1000
G'day,

Many thanks for the replies regarding the Buckley's Hole booklet. There have
also been a few questions. At the moment, Caboolture Shire Council are
talking about ambitions to re-vegetate much of Buckley's Hole Conservation
Park. This action should be welcomed but must be planned carefully and
implemented in stages over some considerable time. Although weeds are in
abundance, some bird species now depend on them to varying extents and any
transition to native vegetation must be made gradually. And it's always
dangerous to hold a public meeting that invites comment from parties who
neither know nor care about the environment, and whose only interest is in
the welfare of their own back yard (and the view!) I've been asked to post
updates on the situation, which I'll do if anything important happens.

Another question was regarding the content of the booklet. Apart from the
usual goodies such as maps, introduction and other bits and pieces (all
extremely interesting), the main section is a systematic list of all of the
bird species recorded in the area. The status of each species is given (how
common and at what time of year) and, in the case of rarities, dates plus
duration of each occurrence. Another section describes the finding of the
major rarities as related by the finder.

I will print and reserve a copy for everyone who has emailed me, and will
email you details soon. If you want one and haven't told me so, please let
me know quickly as I will only print enough to satisfy the demand.  Again,
please send any replies to  as the bigpond
address is send-only. If anyone has replied to the bigpond address I will
most likely not have received your email.

Other tributes have been pouring in but modesty prevents me from talking
about them.

Cheers - Trevor.