birding-aus

Wandering Tattler in Sydney

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Wandering Tattler in Sydney
From: "Bob Way" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:16:02 +1100
Hi,
A WT at Boat Harbour, Kurnell, Sydney was reported on (our) Birdline about 3
weeks ago.  Neil Fifer took a few photos of the bird which were published on
the Internet by Northside Birders, a small group established by Bruce Cox
covering Sydney's northern beaches.  They came to Bruce with a ? but looked
promising.  Through Neil, the photos were reviewed by someone in the USA,
representing bird records/rarities, who considered it to be a WT.
After missing out on the Franklin's Gull on Tuesday I went to Boat Harbour
with Bruce and spent time with the only tattler there under close
observation (60x mag at 15m).  All of the visual features pointed to a WT
but the bird only flew with Ruddy Turnstones; they called and it didn't.
I had already referenced my set of BOC tapes for the WT call only to find
that it wasn't there!  However, thereafter, I managed to borrow a tape of
the call; it's on Bird Calls of the Great Barrier Reef, from the Ray Swarby
memorial collection, but recorded by someone else in the USA.
Also borrowed HANSAB.  All boned-up I went to Boat Harbour again today.  Met
up with Bruce Rubin who, incidentally, had made the call to Birdline.  He
had spoken to a local wader expert and was now less than 100% sure that it
was a WT (he'd even whited-out his tick).
Only one thing to do, try to isolate the bird and see if it would call.
Finally we managed that.  The bird called when stationary and a few seconds
later, in flight, both times giving its characteristic "rippling trill of
6-10 accelerating notes, at the same pitch but decreasing in volume".
Much more fun than Christmas shopping.
Bob