birding-aus

Error in the December Wingspan

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Error in the December Wingspan
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:19:11 +1030
I guess everyone likes their moment of glory in the birding world but I'm sorry Mark de Jong and Wingspan, you both got it wrong.
A brief article on p7 of the Dec Wingspan states that Grey-crowned Babblers were "rediscovered" in South Australia recently. If the article had said "The South East of South Australia" it might have been closer to being accurate, but presumably "South Australia" refers to the whole state?
The Grey-crowned Babbler was found and reported by John Cox early in 2000 near the Marryat River crossing in the far north of SA. Myself and others subsequently ( 0n 24th July 2000) also found the colony reported by Cox and I included it in an atlas report form on completion of our trip.
If Birds Aust had done it's homework before publishing the article it would have seen that its own New Atlas includes this species in the far north of SA at several locations on p540.

Just to set the record straight.

Tony Russell.