birding-aus

Birds feeding on exotic plants

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Birds feeding on exotic plants
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:24:45 +1030
On my daily bike ride in Cooltong Conservation Park this morning I saw a
young Malleefowl, only a week or two old and not as big as a Common
Bronzewing, after a short run it took off and flew very strongly over the
mallee, I wondered what it could be finding to eat. Looking at tracks in the
sand I could see where an adult Malleefowl had been feeding on wild
turnip/mustard seeds, I often see adult Malleefowl, various parrots and
pigeons feeding in patches of wild sage ( Salvia verbenaca) these exotics
certainly supply plenty of food, I have eaten these seeds, they are quite
interesting.
I have found five incubating mounds in the park this year and with my
fox-baiting program I hope to see many more young this season.
Masked Woodswallows are still breeding throughout the park.
Doug Holly
Berri
Sth Aust.