birding-aus

Port Fairy Pelagic Report for 14 December 2003

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "Ashley Bunce" <>, <>, "Rob Berry" <>, "Peter Crabtree" <>, "Gail D'Alton" <>, "Tim Dolby" <>, "Maarten Hulzebosch" <>, "Frank Pierce" <>, "Jennifer Spry" <>
Subject: Port Fairy Pelagic Report for 14 December 2003
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:55:31 -0000
OBSERVERS:  Chris Lester (organiser), Rob Berry, Peter Crabtree, Gail D’Alton, Tim Dolby, Maarten Hulzebosch, Rosemary Lester, Grant Penrhyn, Frank Pierce, Jenny Spry, Andrew Wells, Glenn White & Mike Carter (leader).

WEATHER: A ridge of high pressure was centred over western Bass Strait. Thin cloud provided 8/8 cover until 14.30, then sunny. We avoided a few light showers. For most of the time, the light and visibility was good. Cool. The NNW wind of around 5 knots was less than forecast.

SEA: Slight, (0.5 to 1 m) seas on a low (1-2 m) SW swell throughout, made for a pleasant trip.

ACTIVITY: Sailed at 07.05. Headed out on a COG of 203º at 13 Kts. There were a few birds over inshore waters (first 20 km), the highlight being an adult Pomarine Jaeger. Offshore there was much Shearwater activity in the usual area between the 40 & 90 fathom contours, but this time no Prions or Storm-Petrels. Gannets were patrolling the area and a few albatrosses were stooging around. We crossed the shelf-break at 09.30 having paused only briefly and continued out into pelagic waters. An oil-drilling rig had been installed on the continental slope near the usual centre of our pelagic activity and there were three tender vessels in attendance.

 In this pelagic zone, we had made three berley stops within a 10 km circular area centred on 38º49.6’S 141º52.3E. At each stop, we attracted good numbers of Great-winged Petrels, Flesh-footed Shearwaters and Shy Albatrosses and smaller numbers of other species. The 5 Royal Albatrosses is perhaps the highest ever count in one day.

We departed the deeper waters at 12.45 & came in @ 14 Kts, the only excitement being an apparently satiated Southern Giant Petrel so soundly asleep that we almost ran over it.

 When inshore, we cruised the western and northern shores of Lady Julia Percy Island (LJPI) from 14.35 to 15.00. Docked at 16.05.

MAMMALS: Australian Fur Seals: 1,000’s at LJPI and perhaps 20 remote at sea, most in the offshore zone but none pelagic. Common Dolphins: pod of 50+ in 80 fathoms near 38º44’S 142º00’E.

BIRDS: 25 species of seabird beyond the river mouth indicated excellent diversity with some surprises for the time of year. Some were abundant. Astonishing, was the total absence of Fairy Prions (1,000 last month) and near total absence of Storm-Petrels. Highlights are in capitals. Unless noted otherwise, those listed below were near or beyond the shelf break (i.e. pelagic).

Little Penguin:  3 on LJPI.

Common Diving-Petrel: 1 brief view inshore in a.m.

SOUTHERN GIANT PETREL: 1 sub-ad sound asleep on the water near LJPI.

Northern Giant Petrel: 1 juv & 2 sub-ads.

Great-winged Petrel: 70 (50). 50 nominate race, 20 gouldi.

WHITE-HEADED PETREL: 1.

WHITE-CHINNED PETREL: 10 (6).

Flesh-footed Shearwater: 80 (40). 30 offshore & 50 pelagic.

Sooty shearwater: 3 (1).

Short-tailed Shearwater: 1,100 (200). 1,000 offshore, 100 inshore & 5 pelagic.

Fluttering Shearwater: 5 inshore in a.m.

Wandering Albatross: 3. 1 each exulans, (stage 5), gibsoni (4/5) antipodensis (4).

ROYAL ALBATROSS: 5. 3 Southern & 2 Northern, all adults.

Black-browed Albatross: nom. race, 11 (4). 6 pelagic, 2 off & 3 inshore. 1 ad, 8 sub-ads & 2 juvs.

                                            impavida, 1 sub-ad.

Shy Albatross cauta: 90 (50). 76 pelagic, 7 off & 7 inshore. 50 adults, 38 sub-adults, 2 juv.

Yellow-nosed Albatross: 8 (3). 5 pelagic & 3 offshore. All juvs.

Buller’s Albatross: 1 distant.

Wilson’s Storm-Petrel: 1.

Australasian Gannet: c.87. 15 inshore, 70 offshore, 2 pelagic.

Black-faced Cormorant: 7. 6 ads on LJPI  & 1 inshore.

Great Skua: 1 distant, dark bird.

POMARINE JAEGER: 1 ad inshore in a.m.

Kelp Gull: 5. 4 adults & 1 sub-ad on LJPI.

Silver Gull: 20 on LJPI & 9 inshore in p.m.

Crested Tern: 9. 3 offshore & 6 inshore.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136