birding-aus

Admissiion to McGraths Hill water treatment works.

To: "Grev Reidy" <>, "Keith Brandwood" <>, "Birding-Aus Mail" <>
Subject: Admissiion to McGraths Hill water treatment works.
From: "David Robertson" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:24:41 +1030
I have had some experience with waivers in connection with Masters
athletics.  Waivers can work, ie they will stand up in court, BUT consent
has to be 'informed consent'.  It is no good signing 'I will not hold the
operators responsible for anything that may happen to me'.   The risks have
to be spelt out in the waiver, on the lines of 'I am aware that entering X
may be dangerous because of A, B, C, etc nevertheless
I accept these risks and will not hold the Council (or whoever)
responsible.'  This is the kind of waiver that now is standard on the entry
forms of Fun Runs and other competitions and is strictly enforced "No
signature on waiver = no entry".
If this is discussed with the operators of the Treatment Works and the risks
put down in writing then it should be possible to devise a waiver that will
stand up in court.