birding-aus

SW NSW Trip - Part 3

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: SW NSW Trip - Part 3
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:14:14 +1100

MONDAY December 8th

Arriving at 7 A.M. at Binya State Forest, I revisited the same sites I had birded last time. Another Black-eared Cuckoo was present, this one being a fully matured adult with a nice grey back and black ear. There were many species seen that I missed 3 days previously including:

 Mallee Ringneck

Red-capped Robin

Crested Bellbird  nice close views of one calling from the top of a Cyprus Pine

Striped Honeyeater

Spiny-Cheeked Honeyeater

Singing Honeyeater

*Painted Honeyeater

Whilst I was attempting to whistle up a Painted Honeyeater, a female Red-capped Robin came and hovered a metre or two in front of me, at eye level, looking a bit like a Humming Bird. Perhaps I was the strangest looking Painted Honeyeater she had ever seen.

Eventually managed to whistle up a Painted Honeyeater back along the western fence line, about 200 metres south of the entry gate. Another one was heard calling in the background. Well satisfied that I had achieved all my target birds (8 new species) for the weekend and saw many other excellent birds, some for only the second time, I headed for home.

A brief stop on the corner of the highway and Back Creek Road, on the north western corner of Back Creek State Forest, 13 kms east of West Wyalong, revealed another five Painted Honeyeaters feeding on the Grey Mistletoe growing in Acacia omalophylla. In fact there appeared to be suitable habitat for Painted Honeyeaters continuing east until about 45kms west of Grenfell so many more could have been around.

A pair of pale morph Little Eagle were cruising over the road near Ilford just north of Bathurst. And finally after 2,000 kms  and just before Denman I saw my first Black-Shouldered Kite of the trip. Very few raptors were seen the whole way down.

 Cheers

Dick Jenkin

DUNGOG NSW