birding-aus

How to feed a very young magpie-lark.

To: <>
Subject: How to feed a very young magpie-lark.
From: "jill dark" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:18:30 +1100
Hi All,

As these sort of queries crop up from time to time I would like to suggest
that the finders of orphaned birds should contact their nearest wildlife
care organization.  I know that WIRES has branches all over NSW and there
are other organizations in NSW and in other states.  This way callers can be
helped to
feed their bird correctly and also be advised when and where to release it
later.

I would be feeding a magpie-lark on "pinkie" mice and if it was very young
on pieces of mouse.  As the bird grows "fuzzy" mice can be substituted and
later insects, such as crickets or cockroaches.

Jill
(a WIRES carer in the Blue Mountains)

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at