birding-aus

trip to Goschen

Subject: trip to Goschen
From: john boyce <>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:36:35 +1100
Hi everyone,
spent a long day in the car driving back and forth to Goschen just west
of the township of Lake Boga in the NW of Victoria. It was a warm day
and Goschen was very dry but there are still lots of good birds around.
We met local expert Chris Coleborn up at Goschen and he showed us around
a few places. Before we got to Goschen we stopped just SW of Kerang and
found two small groups (about 8 and 4-5) of Grey-crowned Babblers. It
was rather worrying that just near the Babblers we saw a fox crossing
the road. At Goschen we quickly found about 5-10 Black Honeyeaters and
at least 2 (one male one female) Pied Honeyeaters as well as cockatiels,
Hooded Robin and a Budgerigar. We then went on to Round Lake which had a
large flock of Blue-billed Duck (>200) as well as Pink-eared Duck,
Hardhead, Musk Duck, Hoary-headed Grebe and Great-crested Grebe.
Nearby at Tresco West we found a beautiful male Crimson Chat, lots of
White-browed and Masked Woodswallows and Budgies and Blue-bonnets. We
completed our vic list of Chats with an Orange just North of L.
Tutchewop. A very quick stop at Terrick Terrick on the way home added
Red-capped Robin, Gilbert's Whistler and Western Gerygone for a final
list of just short of 100 for the day.

The full Goschen list was
Rainbow Bee-eater
Galah