birding-aus

Red-necked Phalarope

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Red-necked Phalarope
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:12:01 +1000
G'day all,

1
I thank Robert Read of Alice Springs who advised ..
There was a single Red-necked Phalarope on the Alice Springs Sewage Ponds,
31/10/03 still there 8/11/03, but gone by 23/11/03.

2
An update on the Red-necked Phalarope first observed Sunday 23/11/2003 at Wide Bay, Lake Moondarra, Mount Isa >>>

I observed it preening 11.30am Monday morning 24/11/2003 as I drove past on an other activity.

But Monday afternoon I was able to keep it under observation for 1-1/2 hours. 4 times it flew up to 100m along the shoreline before resuming active feeding. Its movements were seemingly haphazard but after feeding along the shore for up to 20m it would do a U-turn and go over the same water again. It would feed from one side to the other, with its beak just jabbing the surface of the water. At no time was it further than 2m from the shore.

Yesterday afternoon I kept it under observation from 3.15 to 4.25pm. It patrolled the same 30m section of water, feeding all the time. Weather was clear, temp 39.2Cels. It did not repeat Sunday's turning circles performance.

3
The "New" Atlas p687 advise it was recorded in the following 1degree grids.
(The numbers are the lat/long for top LH corner of the grid.)

South Aust
34.138.
Victoria
35.143,
36.144,
37.144,
38.144.
West Aust
17.122,
17.123,
20.118,
21.115,
23.113,
28.114,
32.115.
NT, Qld. & NSW
None

4
Previous records at Mount Isa that I can find are -

  3/12/1986                    Peter Harris            Sunbird Vol 18 (2) p41

25/12/1991                    A,B & J  Watson,    Sunbird Vol 22 (3) p68

3 - 4 years ago              2nd hand report from "I forget"

5
Other visiting waders in the area yesterday were
- Oriental Plovers        + 150
- Black-tailed Godwits      15
- Marsh Sandpipers       +20
- Sharp-tailed S/p        +100

6
Other nice birds in the vicinity included -
- Black Swans
- Australian Pratincoles
- Great-crested Grebes
- Red-necked Avocets

7
I have been corrected in that Nick Dymond (who saw a R-n P on the Tablelands Hwy crossing of  the Playford River) comes from the Shetland Islands.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
Mount Isa is 1562km from Brisbane and Sunrise is 1 hour & 7 minutes later than Brisbane.
It is also 1581km due north of Adelaide.
For calculations see www.auslig.gov.au