birding-aus

Oriental Cuckoo in Sydney

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Oriental Cuckoo in Sydney
From: "K,K&E Lindsay" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:26:56 +1100
Hi all,
Today at around 8:15am it was wet and overcast and I was in the bus this morning, waiting at the lights before going down Locksley sreet in the North Shore suburb of Killara in Syney when I looked up at a telephone wire to see a bird  larger than a spotted turtle dove siting motionlessly on the wire, as I always do I looked at it closer and I realized that this wasn't a Spotted turtle dove so I  checked for a crest just in case it was an odd looking Crested pigeon when I noticed it wasn't a pigeon at all but a Cuckoo!

The bird itself was wet but I managed to see soft barring on its breast and a little bit if white on the edge of the wing, it was perched in that slumped stance that Cuckoos have and it had a fine pointed beak,I am used to common koels but this just didn't have the stance and shape,plus it looked more like a true cuckoo,sitting more like a large fan tailed cuckoo.

I got my best look at it from underneath but I another look as was driving off, unfortunately I was in a bus and was going to be late so I couldn't get out and have a closer look,but I was sure it was a Cuckoo.
I throught of all the cuckoos it could be and came down to Pallid, Brush or Oriental Cuckoo.
Now the cuckoo I saw was alot larger than a Fan Tailed or Brush Cuckoo it wasn't Pallid as Pallid prefer dry country so it came down to Oriental,as the size was good and the area was ok, plus there is a pretty large thicket of dense shrubs along the trackside these include alot of Bamboo,lantana,privet but there is also a few ferns etc.

Cheers,
Kurtis Lindsay