birding-aus

curlews and foxes

To: <>
Subject: curlews and foxes
From: "Leanne Wheaton" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:15:31 +1100

I support David Geering’s comments re the hysteria regarding 1080.

1080 is our greatest weapon against foxes.

Without its current impact on the fox population, all our ground dwelling birds, some reptiles, tortoises etc would be extinct in a matter of years.

Yes it may have been used without due care in the past, but that is a reason for better education, and not the banning of the substance.

There are approx 2.5 million foxes in Victoria.  The fox bounty removed 170000, most of them juveniles.  All will be repopulated in this current breeding season.

A fox needs 350g of food a night to survive, only 20% comes from lambs/chooks etc.

At 280g per night x 365 days per years this is 102kg of wildlife consumed per  individual fox per year..  That’s the entire curlew population in Victoria eaten by one fox.

So it doesn’t take much to work out the total weight of wildlife consumed by fox population in one state.

So don’t create unnecessary hysteria.  1080 is our best weapon, let’s encourage its proper use.

Leanne Wheaton

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original recipient, any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender. This message has been scanned for viruses by the Dragnet CleanMail Service.