birding-aus

European Blackbirds in NSW

To: <>
Subject: European Blackbirds in NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:50:47 +1100
Hi Birders,
Tim Murphy enquired about Blackbirds in NSW and their most northern populations. Blackbirds have been present in Coonabrabran since 1983 ( they turned up the year after my family moved from Coonabarabran back to Sydney) but they were already living in Dubbo and Gilgandra so that their becoming established in Coonabrabran was expected. Blackbirds were already long established in Armidale (1977) and the Liverpool Ranges in 1979, and have been in Broken Hill, Menindee, and many south-west towns for years. I can only assume that they now occur in Inverell and Glen Innes & Tenterfield and their presence in Queensland must soon be expected if not already there.

Alan Morris
Birding NSW Records Officer